Some specialise in pallet shipping.
Others specialise in shipping smaller packages with lightning bolt speed.
Just as your business specialises in something different and special, so do couriers.
And it’s in your best interest to know which couriers suit your business.
We’re going to run through a few of the couriers we use at Transdirect. They have generously shared some tips with us on how to effectively and safely pack your heavy items.
If you haven’t read this already – check out our article on simple and cost effective tips for shipping heavy items.
Northline regularly ships pallets and other heavy items around Australia. They are dedicated to providing excellent customer service and promoting safety at work and on the job- no matter where their couriers are. They have some gems of wisdom for packaging your pallets and heavy items safely:
- Palletised goods should ideally be shrink-wrapped to the pallet to avoid them moving while in transit
- Cartons should be strong enough to take the weight inside, and no more than 25kg each unless on a pallet
- Any products containing glass should be bubble-wrapped, crated or similar and marked “Fragile – Contains Glass”
- Engines, Gear Boxes etc should be crated with fuel drained prior to shipping
- Long freight that is fragile and subject to damage if bent should be reinforced with timber to minimise flex
- Ensure that incompatible Dangerous Goods are not mixed together on a pallet
TNT deliver 1 million packages around the globe every day and have over 50 000 employees across 61 countries. TNT have some helpful hints to reduce the risk of package damage and delays:
Packing tips for boxes
- Choose quality packaging
- Avoid empty space
- Label heavy boxes
- Seal packages in a H pattern
- Label clearly
Packing tips for pallets
- Stack in columns
- Don’t overhang – if your item overhangs on the pallet it may not get accepted by the freight company
- Keep the top level of the pallet flat
- Strap it or wrap it to secure package
- Label clearly
Allied Express is one of the largest independently owned freight companies in Australia. Their fleet of over 1,000 vehicles will help you get your packages where they need to be. They’ve got a few tips to help you easily deliver your heavy item across Australia:
- Label your fragile and heavy items
- Package your heavy item with plenty of cushioning
- Be careful when wrapping unusually or dangerously shaped packaging – tape some extra padding to the sharp points to avoid hurting the customer or courier.
These are just a few of the couriers we use at Transdirect – We hand pick the highest quality couriers to work with so your package gets to its destination in perfect condition.
Transdirect can help you ship your heavy items in Australia today – we can give you an instant quote.